Unknown Facts About Vaughan Ontario To Toronto

The Main Principles Of Vaughan On


His boys, in connection with their relative, William Wright, built a tannery and grist mill. A fire in 1828 taken in the new flour mill constructed by Mr.


After his failure the property fell building dropped hands of David Macdougall & Co. On lot 34, giving in 1, Nicholas Caber, a German, constructed a saw-mill in 1825, which was destroyed by an incendiary fire five years later, being reconstructed the following year - vaughan ontario hotels.


Vaughan Ontario Time - An Overview


It was once again burned and reconstructed, and is still in procedure. On lot 36, in the same concession, Barnabas Lyons, a boy of John Lyons, previously mentioned, developed a sawmill in the year 1839, which was benefited concerning thirty years. Hiram Dexter constructed a saw-mill 011 lot 37, in the year 1836, which functioned for several years.


On whole lot 41. Mr


Vaughan Ontario ApartmentsVaughan Ontario Postal Code
Rowland Burr, his son, child one of the most noted mid and factory builders manufacturing facility home builders early days. C. E. Lawrence constructed a saw-mill on great deal 42, m 1834, and 6 years afterwards developed a carding and fulling mill and woollen factory, which he worked for several years, until his fatality, after which it altered hands often.


A double-geared saw-mill was set up on lots 45 and 46 by James Playter in 1848, which is still extant. Greater up, on the same branch of the stream, stood a distillery built by James McDavids in 1844.


Not known Details About Vaughan On


Mr. Langstaff likewise had an execute manufacturing facility on one more tiny branch of the Don, in the prompt neighbourhood. This was constructed in 1850, a steel file factory being afterwards added. On lot 50, giving in 1, a saw-mill was developed, in 1842, by a man called Heslop, and benefited years.




In all, there have actually been first to last twelve saw-mills, 7 grist mills, and three distilleries, improved the Don and its tributaries in Vaughan Territory. The settlement of Vaughan was finished about thirty-five years after the arrival of the leaders. The basic character of the land is clay and clay loam; 19,266 acres being hefty clay, 41,074 acres clay loam, 5,670 acres sandy loam, and 1,500 acres sand.


Vaughan Ontario To TorontoVaughan Ontario Hotels
The ordinary return per acre of these crops is as follows: Fall wheat, 15 bushels; spring wheat, 10 bushels; barley, 18 bushels; oats, 40 bushels; peas, 15 bushels; potatoes, 100 bushels; turnips, 500 bushels; other origin plants, 500 bushels; hay, ri loads. Regarding 11,000 acres is still wooded with want and wood, which makes the overall location of cleared land concerning 56,500 acres.


The Facts About Vaughan Ontario To Toronto Revealed


Of the population in the last year those of German origin phoned number 993, being primarily the descendants of old settlers from Pennsylvania. In 1881 the live supply of the territory numbered as follows: Livestock, check my source 2,952; steeds, 2,481; sheep, 4,349, and hogs, 2,207.


Amongst the proprietors of pedigreed livestock are M. Reaman, Robert Marsh, William Agar, George Bell, Peter Frank, Jacob Lakmer and children, and Edwin Langstaff. The community documents of Vaughan, which have not been maintained farther back than 1850, reveal that in that year the council was arranged under the new regulations which then carne in force by the political election of David Smellie, David Bridgford, John W.


At the initial conference held in the area hall in the fifth giving in, J. W. Gamble was elected reeve and David Smellie deputy-reeve, James Ashdown was selected area clerk, and Nathaniel Wallace, John Stephens and William Doorperson, assessors. At a succeeding meeting, Rev. James Dick was appointed superintendent of Typical Schools at an income of 20.


The smart Trick of Vaughan Ontario To Toronto That Nobody is Talking About


Vaughan Ontario WeatherVaughan Ontario Hotels
Bridgford, J. W. Wager, Alexander Mitchell and John Lawrie. The political election for the offices of reeve and deputy resulted as in the past. Mr. Wager held the reeveship without intermission untd 1858, when Mr. D. Bridgford, that had been chosen deputy-reeve annually considering that 1852, prospered him. In 1859-60, H. S. Howland was reeve and Alfred Jeffrey deputy.


Arnold filled the chair in 1861 and the two following years, with William Chef as deputy-reeve. Alfred Jeffrey was deputy-reeve during the former year, and Thos. In 1868 the reeveship fell to Peter Patterson, and William Hartman and Robert you can check here J.


The Best Strategy To Use For Vaughan Ontario Map


G. J. F. Pearce, who had actually officiated as area clerk and treasurer for virtually 10 years, resigned, and Mr. J. M. Lawrence was assigned to succeed him. Mr. Patterson held the reeveship for 4 years.


The primary community authorities for 1884 are as complies with: Reeve, T. Porter, Humber; 1st deputy-reeve, William Chef, Carville; 2nd deputy-reeve, D. Reaman, Concord; you can check here third deputy-reeve, Alexander Malloy, Purple-ville; councillor, George Elliott, Woodbridge; area clerk and treasurer, J. M. Lawrence, Richmond Hillside. Mr - vaughan ontario apartments. Lawrence is of U. E. Patriot beginning

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *